Some people eat their emotions.
Some people fall into a pit of despair so deep however they’ll go out of their way to create some ungodly concoction to cry over; behold, my peanut butter pretzel ice cream with chocolate covered salted pretzels. This, my friends, is misery personified. Mmmm, misery.
The concept is simple: make ice cream, throw peanut butter in the creme anglaise, churn, add salted pretzels shards, coat more pretzels in chocolate and assemble. ENJOY. Easy! This is ridiculously good.
Peanut Butter Pretzel Ice Cream
(an original recipe)
1 cup milk
100 g sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cup cream
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
3/4 cup crushed salted pretzels
Chocolate covered pretzels
chocolate and whole salted pretzels (too easy!)
1. Heat milk in a small saucepan while beating your egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl.
2. Once warmed, slowly pour the hot milk over the yolk/sugar mixture whilst stirring constantly. This is to temper your eggs.
3. Pour the mixture pack into the saucepan, add peanut butter and whisk until it has dissolved. Continue to heat and whisk until mixture has become thick like custard.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool then place in refrigerator to cool overnight, or at least 6 hours.
5. Prepare in ice cream maker as per manufacturer’s instructions – as ice cream is churning pour your pretzels into the machine.
6. Melt chocolate either in a microwave or over a double boiler. Coat your salted pretzels, dangle and allow excess chocolate to drip off (I employed the use of two chopsticks for this step) and place on baking paper to cool in the refrigerator.
7. Once everything is prepared scoop ice cream into cute ramekins and adorn with your chocolate pretzels.
Sweet ice cream, salted crunchy bits, chocolatey coating; this dessert is a walking contradiction but believe you me it may just be the most delightful comfort food you’ll make this Summer. And if this what pours out of me when I’ve had a bad week, well… maybe I should keep to my bad moods a little more often. Emotional eaters unite!
PS. I’ve started a facebook page so drop by and say hello! I might just become a little less ~emo~ if you do!